TRAINING & LABOR FORCE
Prepared for the future — that describes the Orangeburg County workforce, which can save your business both time and money.
Competitive advantage in business today belongs to those companies with a well-developed workforce: leaders and first-line supervisors who motivate employees to accomplish the corporate mission, teams throughout a manufacturing site that drive improvement and individual performers with the skills to get the job done today and tomorrow.
Nearly 100,000 potential employees reside within a 30-mile radius of the City of Orangeburg. But quality is far more important than quantity. Graduates from local colleges and vocational schools entering the labor pool are considered highly trainable by local industries.
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College (OCtech), a comprehensive two-year public institution, provides the resources to identify the skills you and your business team need and the training and education to get them. Since enrolling its first students in 1968, more than 8,956 have graduated from OCtech. The Continuing Education Division of OCtech provides:
- qualified, trained and experienced experts to deliver training in many areas of certification and specialization
- customized training that can be tailored to company-specific needs delivered at your site or on the OCtech campus
- consulting services that address your specific organizational or business need
- online courses that are available in a variety of career fields that provide both maximum flexibility in meeting shift and scheduling challenges, and the skills necessary to acquire or maintain professional positions for in-demand occupations
- WorkKeys® profiling and assessment services to ensure you are hiring and training employees with skills aligned for specific jobs within your business and industry
- National Center for Construction Education Research (NCCER®) accredited training programs in 26 crafts, including electrical, maintenance and instrumentation.
In addition to the programs offered by OCtech, employees in Orangeburg County may seek higher education from South Carolina State University and Claflin University, both located in Orangeburg.
Orangeburg County businesses have yet another advantage — South Carolina’s Center for Accelerated Technology Training (CATT) located on the OCtech campus. Organized to supply a trained workforce for new and expanding companies, the center’s programs are prepared to address the specific needs of individual companies through customized recruiting, testing and training.
CATT’s training programs were featured in the June 2004 issue of The Manufacturer, a trade publication that promotes best practices in the manufacturing industry. The October 2003 issue of Expansion Management magazine ranked the center’s programs No.1 in 15 states for workforce training. CATT’s program received the most votes from the consultants who made site selections and participated in the survey.
The Wall Street Journal recently best described our training philosophy: “South Carolina has committed itself to providing all the hand tools, manuals and classroom facilities that are needed by business in the state …” Orangeburg County has taken this dedication to training seriously. Our well-trained labor force can save your business both time and money. And, that’s better for everyone’s bottom line.